“The atmosphere is extremely pleasant and conducive to learning about the subject. Everyone is relaxed, discussion is lively and, of course, the facilities and the food are excellent. What more does one need?”
Our adult education programme of courses, based at our attractive residential centre, provide a wonderful opportunity for those interested in art and history.
Discover Medieval East Anglia
East Anglia has the greatest wealth of medieval buildings of any region in the UK. Our two study tours enable you to step back in time to gain an understanding of the culture that created them. Magnificent cathedrals, tiny chapels, beautiful guildhalls and wool merchants’ houses, all have fascinating tales to tell. Our study tours are led by Jon Cannon, an architectural historian, writer, broadcaster and popular NADFAS accredited lecturer.
- Medieval Churches, Monasteries & Cathedrals of the Fenlands (Friday 19 to Sunday 21 May 2017)
- Anglo-Saxon & Norman History & Architecture (Sunday 21 to Tuesday 23 May 2017)
We offer the Friends of the National Churches Trust a discount of 5% from the price of each Discover Medieval East Anglia course (as indicated).
Our 2018 brochure will be published soon, in the meantime, please make a note of the course dates:
- Medieval East Anglia: Cities, Towns and Villages (Wednesday 16 to Sunday 20 May 2018)
- Medieval Churches, Monasteries and Cathedrals of the Fenlands (Friday 6 to Sunday 8 July 2018)
- Medieval Cambridge: History & Architecture (Friday 20 to Monday 23 July 2018)
Our residential calligraphy courses are designed to help students develop their skills, knowledge and passion for calligraphy, heraldic art and manuscript illumination. The tutor for these courses is artist and calligrapher Gerald Mynott FSSI.
We have added one new weekend course for 2017, in addition to our popular summer school:
- Painting Skills for Heraldic Art & Manuscript Illumination (Friday 5 to Sunday 7 May 2017)
- Calligraphy, Heraldic Art & Manuscript Illumination (Thursday 3 to Wednesday 9 August 2017)
Our full 2017 Adult Education Brochure, including a booking form, is available to download:
For further information, to answer your questions, to request a copy of the 2017 brochure by post or to book a place on any course, please contact Christine Hall, Marianne Gluhosky or Sarah Lock on 01223 872809, firstname.lastname@example.org
We specialise in organising tailored adult study tours for groups, to find out more please contact Christine Hall on 01223 872809, email@example.com
If you are interested in hiring our centre for your own meeting, course or residential please visit our venue hire page.